Thursday, December 26, 2013

Teaching through Advent

Happy Boxing Day friends!

Traditionally, today has been known as the day where employers have given gifts to their employees, servants, etc... so, if you own your own business and have non-family employees, or if you're just crazy rich, be sure to give your employees something today!

Well, with that out of the way, I wanted to give you a quick update on the goings on as of late. Since March, I have been serving as the youth pastor at Dexter Baptist Church in Dexter, GA. This past November, the pastor and I discussed the possibility of me teaching through the season of Advent. The church itself had been lighting the Advent candles for a couple of years, but never had really discussed the ins and outs of the season itself.

So with that, I set out on December 1st to begin a 4 week study through the season of Advent. We spent each week discussing a characteristic of the season (What is Advent? Why observe Advent? The colors of Advent. The History of Advent) and then we had a short homily from the Scriptures for each week based on the particular candle that we lit. Then on Monday, December 23rd (since people were heading out to visit family for Christmas) we had our Christ Candle service and celebrated the Incarnation of God in the flesh, Jesus the Christ. I really enjoyed preparing these lessons, doing the research and study, and presenting them to the church. I know that doing so really enhanced my celebration of the Advent and now Christmas seasons. Here are a few pics of the Advent Wreath, sanctuary, and me teaching on the Fourth Sunday of Advent.





I pray you all had a wonderful Christmas and enjoy your season of Christmas!

Peace of Christ to all

~Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment